NEWS FROM LCAS
Christmas Bird Count 2020
Christmas Bird Count 2020 is in the books! And it was the year of waterfowl! We matched or exceeded all-time count numbers for 7 different species of waterfowl – Cackling Goose, Wood Duck, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, and Common Goldeneye! Great counting everyone! Read more…
LCAS Memberships and Renewals
It’s that time of year again, and in spite of Covid-19, LCAS remains very active in support of habitat protection, education, and citizen science (and just check out this packed newsletter issue!). As we reach the end of the year, this is the time for annual membership renewals. Dues are still the same low rate: $15 per household, or $25 with a hard copy newsletter subscription. Please join us for another year – renew today!
If you are not yet a member and would like to join LCAS in support of conservation and education in the Helena area, please see our membership page for details on how to join LCAS. Memberships also make a great gift. Join today!
Letter from our President (UPDATE 12/2020)
Dear LCAS Members and Friends,
Guess what! I just renewed my LCAS membership, AND I made a donation to the organization. I did it online and it took less than 3-minutes. www.lastchanceaudubon.org You might ask, “Why?” due to the fact that there’s a pandemic going on and we haven’t met as a chapter since Movie Night in February. Well, the reasons are numerous…
- We are BUSY! Our LCAS Board of Directors held its first ever ZOOM meeting in November. Here’s some of what we discussed and decided:
- Our Education Committee is soliciting grant applications from Carroll College students to help support them while they are busy working on projects that are in line with our mission statement.
- Our Education Committee is also working with local high school counselors, letting them know that we offer $1000 scholarships to high school seniors pursuing degrees that agree with our mission statement. If you know of such a student, send them to our website.
- It’s Fall, and that means its time for our Fall Fundraiser that we call the “Non-auction Fundraiser”. In other words, you don’t have to bid on something that IF you win, you’ll need to take it home with you. We encourage you to merely donate the money you were willing to spend on an auction item, and leave it at that. Hit the DONATE NOW button to participate, or send your check to: Last Chance Audubon Society, PO Box 924, Helena, MT 59624-0001
- This year funds donated during our Fall Fundraiser go to our Habitat Protection Committee, which plans to offer it as grant money to Prickly Pear Land Trust (PPLT) to help replace native vegetation at Sevenmile Creek that burned on September 2, 2020. Donate TODAY!
- Due to the Coronavirus, our 2020 Christmas Bird Count (CBC) will be conducted primarily by section leaders, HOWEVER, you can still be an important part of the CBC by counting from home. For details of how you can contribute to the LCAS CBC, email the Chair at: email@example.com
- Did you know that Sandy Shull at Birds & Beasleys has put together a book of her mom’s colored pencil drawings of local birds? For the Love of Birds, by Jane Shull Beasley, including 70 of her drawings, is available at Birds & Beasley’s. Call for more information and to reserve your copy at: (406) 449-0904
- Our current Last Chance Chat newsletter contains many more articles and information, so, be sure to read it from cover to cover. This issue will cover December 2020 thru January 2021, with the next Chat being published February 1, 2021.
Be well and don’t forget to get out and BIRD!
President Last Chance Audubon Society
LCAS 2019-2020 Scholarship Awards – UPDATE
Congratulations to Kendall Frederics, a senior at Carroll College, majoring in Environmental Science. Kendall was selected to receive the 2019-2020 LCAS $1000 Carroll College grant. Her proposal involves assessing the potential risks of contracting West Nile virus depending on its prevalence between host species and mosquito vectors.
Kendall’s entire project scope will be posted to the AWARDS page upon completion of the project.
UPDATE! The application process is now open for the scholarship award for 2021 graduating high school seniors. If you have an interest in pursuing a degree in environmental sciences or a related field, please visit our Scholarship page for details on applying for this grant.